Welding Blamed In Vegas Strip Work Site Fire

Welders' sparks were blamed for igniting a large block of insulation at a casino construction site Wednesday.

The fire sent dark smoke billowing over the Las Vegas Strip and sparked a brief two-alarm call for firefighters to respond to the high-rise Fontainebleu-Las Vegas building site, a fire official said.

No injuries were reported after the 2 p.m. fire, which was quickly doused and did not damage the building, fire spokesman Scott Allison said.

"Lots of smoke. Impressive looking. But not a lot of fire," Allison said after the second alarm was canceled and fire units were sent home.

Nevada state Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Clark County fire investigators were probing the fire, which Allison said burned part of a block of plastic and rubberized insulation material about the size of a tractor-trailer.

"Due to the type of material it was, it really gave off a lot of smoke," Allison said.

The $2.8 billion Fontainebleau is being built by privately held Fontainebleau Resorts LLC. It is due to open in late 2009 with almost 4,000 hotel rooms, condominiums, a casino and spa.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 21743219 - kolotv.com/a?a=21743219
Gray Television, Inc.