December 22, 2014
Federal occupational safety and health officials are reviewing how Nevada state safety investigators handled the probe of the deaths of two maintenance workers last year at a Las Vegas hotel-casino.
The acting regional OSHA chief says the federal agency is looking into a complaint filed by the mother of one of the men who died in the February 2007 sewer mishap at The Orleans.
He says they're looking at state administration of OSHA rules, not whether the casino complied with safety regulations.
Authorities say 26-year-old Travis Koehler and 48-year-old Richard Luzier died in a sewer pit when they were overcome by fumes.
A third man was rescued by Clark County firefighters after he entered the pit to try to rescue Koehler and Luzier.
State officials last August fined The Orleans owner Boyd Gaming Corp. $185,000 for nine safety violations.