September 23, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Officials say a Las Vegas man took a misguided cue from Santa Claus when he got locked out of his house.
Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski says crews responded to reports of a man stuck in a chimney about 9 a.m. Thursday.
Rescuers say the man was about five feet inside the chimney of the one-story house near Alta Drive and Jones Boulevard when authorities grabbed him by the arms and pulled him out.
Officials say he wasn't injured, and the chimney wasn't damaged.
Szymanski says the department absolutely doesn't recommend using a smokestack as an alternate entrance.
He says chimneys are usually lined with a flue that limits the passage to 12-16 inches, which is typically only wide enough if you're a bird or a raccoon.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.