July 28, 2014
CHICAGO (AP) - Investigators in Chicago have a mystery to solve after new toxicology tests show a Chicago man ingested a lethal dose of cyanide just as he was about to collect nearly $425,000 in lottery winnings.
The July death of 46-year-old Urooj (oo-ROOJ') Khan was recently ruled a homicide after a relative asked for an expanded investigation. Chicago police say they've opened a homicide investigation.
Khan died July 20, a day after the check for his scratch-off ticket win was issued. He bought the ticket at a 7-Eleven near his two-story home in West Rogers Park, a neighborhood on Chicago's North Side. He is survived by a wife and a daughter.
The Cook County medical examiner says Khan's body likely will be exhumed as part of the investigation.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.