Award for parrot that warned baby was choking

DENVER (AP) - A parrot whose cries of alarm alerted his owner
when a little girl choked on her breakfast has been honored as a
hero.
Willie, a Quaker parrot, has been given the local Red Cross
chapter's Animal Lifesaver Award.
In November, Willie's owner, Megan Howard, was baby-sitting for
a toddler. Howard left the room and the little girl, Hannah,
started to choke on her breakfast.
Willie repeatedly yelled "Mama, baby" and flapped his wings,
and Howard returned in time to find the girl already turning blue.
Howard saved Hannah by performing the Heimlich maneuver but said
Willie "is the real hero."
"The part where she turned blue is always when my heart drops
no matter how many times I've heard it," Hannah's mother, Samantha
Kuusk, told KCNC-TV. "My heart drops in my stomach and I get all
teary eyed."
Willie got his award during a "Breakfast of Champions" event
Friday attended by Gov. Bill Ritter and Mayor John Hickenlooper.


KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 41782897