October 13, 2015
POMFRET, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut man was so engrossed with
the tunes on his iPod that he didn't realize his house was on fire
- until his alarm company called.
Pomfret Assistant Fire Chief Edward Bates says Andrew Riley told
him he was listening to music Thursday afternoon when the blaze
broke out on the upper floor of his 2½-story house.
Bates says Riley didn't smell smoke or hear the smoke alarm
After receiving the call, Riley dashed upstairs and shut a door
to the burning room.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and quickly put out the blaze.
The damage was limited to the exercise room and an adjoining
A fire marshal blamed the fire on an electrical malfunction in
the exercise room.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.