SPARKS, NV -- Repairs are underway at Dilworth STEM Academy in Sparks after metal tubing broke, creating a deluge in the early morning hours. Class was canceled Monday for the roughly six-hundred students who attend the school.
"Our site facilities coordinator came in by 6:10 this morning and he found a large portion of our west wing flooded," Laura Petersen, the principal of Dilworth, said.
Petersen said district staff and contractors worked throughout the day Monday to repair the damage.
The flood water originated from the ceiling of a hallway, going into lockers, two classrooms and a teacher work room, Petersen said. Damage to the ceiling, lighting, classroom supplies and the flood was evident.
Petersen said the teacher work room can't be entered because of concerns the flood may have led to asbestos being exposed. She said it's difficult to get an accurate damage assessment, but said an early estimate puts the cost at about ten-thousand dollars.
Fans were being used to attempt to dry carpet, which Petersen said was installed during the summer.
Although Petersen said the repairs won't be complete Tuesday, she said enough will be repaired in order to hold classes.
Petersen said the boiler system at the school is 50 years old, and repairs are often costly.