Reno Firefighters Battled Two Structure Fires

By: Staff Email
By: Staff Email

Reno firefighteres were busy Wednesday battling a mobile home fire and a motel room fire with a combined damage estimate of over $70,000.

Around 12:49 p.m., firefighting units were dispatched to a mobile home fire at 270 Elquist Dr., in Sun Valley. The residents, a mother and 4-year-old child, were not home but the family dog was not so lucky. The furry family member was rescued and treated by firefighters for smoke inhalation before being transported to a veterinarian for additional care.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical problem in the kitchen. A preliminary estimate is set at $70,000 in property loss and damages.

Shortly after the mobile home fire began, firefighters received a call to respond to the Horseshoe Motel at 490 Lake St., where a room at the inn was set ablaze. A mattress propped up against a wall, braced against a gas heater proved to be the cause.

Officials say the occupants of the room knocked out the initial fire but pushed the still-smoldering mattress outside the door. Unfortunately, a secondary fire grew from the smoking mattress that firefighters extinguished.

The preliminary estimate for loss in property and contents was set at about $3,000.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111564029 - kolotv.com/a?a=111564029