September 2, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Clark County school officials say they've been told by Governor-elect Brian Sandoval to brace for budget cuts above 10 percent.
Sandoval and members of his transition team met with schools officials from around the state earlier this week.
Outgoing Clark County Superintendent Walt Rulffes tells the Las Vegas Sun that the meeting was "profoundly pessimistic."
Gov. Jim Gibbons had asked all state agencies to assume budget cuts of at least 10 percent.
But during Tuesday's meeting, members of Sandoval's team told school officials cuts will deeper than that.
Nevada is facing a projected budget deficit of at least $1.2 billion compared with current spending levels.