Ten People Homeless After Sparks Duplex Fire

By: Lauren Garber Email
By: Lauren Garber Email

Ten people are homeless after an early morning fire took out one side of a duplex in Sparks.

No one was injured.

The duplex is located on the corner of Rock and Gault Way.

Firefighters from Sparks and Reno fought the blaze.

One resident says the fire started in the garage after a spark from a power strip set a blanket on fire. He said he and a neighbor tried to stop the flames, but they were out of control.

There were a total of 10 people living on just one side of the duplex.

"It's not necessarily a safety hazard to have that many people. It's inconvenient I would imagine, for that many people to live in that home, but you know with the economy like that, people are doing the best they can," said Tom Garrison, Sparks Fire Department.

The Red Cross was on the scene to help those who were displaced.

Officials the other side of the duplex was able to be re-occupied by the residents.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111996194 - kolotv.com/a?a=111996194
Gray Television, Inc.