Residents Return to El Cortez After Carbon Monoxide Leak

By: Staff Email
By: Staff Email

RENO, Nev. -- Fire officials say all residents have been allowed back inside the El Cortez Hotel Saturday after the second carbon monoxide leak in three weeks prompted evacuations of residences and businesses.

A carbon monoxide alarm first alerted people to the most recent incident. Officials at the scene say initially one fire engine responded to the location but as soon as carbon monoxide was detected, they called in more help and everyone was evacuated.

Officials suspect the problem originated with the building's hot water heater. As of Saturday afternoon, the building was still without hot water. A restaurant on the ground floor remained closed because of that.

Some people complained of symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide exposure, but no one was hospitalized.

It was just last month, on May 11th, the El Cortez Hotel was evacuated for a carbon monoxide leak during which 12 people went to the hospital complaining of symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 209803021 - kolotv.com/a?a=209803021