September 30, 2014
SPARKS, NV - Sparks police are investigating the crash of a minivan that hit a home and caught fire.
It happened at the corner of I Street and Rock Boulevard around 8:45 Friday night. The van sheared the home's natural gas main at the meter, causing the fire. The fire was quickly extinguished.
Police say 34-year-old Jessie Hobson had her van stopped at a stop sign on I Street east of Rock Boulevard. Witnesses say she suddenly moved forward and accelerated across lanes of traffic, crashing into the house on I Street.
Hobson was pulled from the van by her boyfriend, who had been driving another vehicle behind her. She was taken to a hospital to be treated for burns to her stomach and smoke inhalation, and police say evidence indicates she may suffer from a medical condition that led her to lose control of the van.
No one was inside the home at the time of the crash.
Investigators say the home has extensive damage.