September 20, 2014
BOONE, N.C. (AP) - Inspectors checked a North Carolina motel where three people are presumed killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a pool water heater, but the local health department says the inspection doesn't include checking for the poisonous gas.
The Appalachian District Health Department said Tuesday it inspected the swimming pool at the Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone six weeks before a Longview, Wash., couple was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in their motel room. Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said the room is near the indoor pool warmed by a natural gas heater.
Eleven-year-old Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday in the same room as the Washington couple, 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.