October 25, 2014
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The daughter of a Vietnam War veteran who died in 2005 has sued county officials, saying they mishandled her father's remains by burying him in a pauper's grave when he deserved higher honors.
Fred Salanti of the Missing in America Project says this happens too often, but things have changed since a 2012 law gave groups like his authority to step in when relatives can't be found.
Michelle Hernandez told the Sacramento Bee that she was estranged from her father, Edward Nellis, when he died. She became ill last year and wanted to know about her father.
She learned he was buried in a mass grave. Hernandez says she has since moved his cremated remains to a national cemetery.
Coroner Kim Gin said Sacramento County has changed its procedures.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.