October 20, 2014
CEDAREDGE, Colo. (AP) - One Colorado teen is dead and another is in critical condition after they were apparently exposed to carbon monoxide in a camper.
Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee said Tuesday the boys and one other friend were watching videos Sunday in a camper inside a shed. They apparently went to sleep when something caused them to be exposed to carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas that can cause brain damage or death.
McKee says 17-year-old Reid Gates died, and Aaron Henrie, who is the same age, was in critical condition. McKee says 15-year-old Tyler Cooper wasn't seriously injured.
The sheriff says the youths, who were in high school together, were discovered by Cooper's parents.
McKee says a preliminary investigation indicates "this was just a tragic accident."
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.