CDC Workers May Have Been Exposed To Anthrax

By: AP Email
By: AP Email
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says some of its staff in Atlanta may have been accidentally exposed to dangerous anthrax bacteria because of a safety problem at one of its labs.

MGN Online

(AP) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says some of its staff in Atlanta may have been accidentally exposed to dangerous anthrax bacteria because of a safety problem at one of its labs.

Agency officials say the risk of infection is low, but that about 75 staff members were being monitored or given antibiotics as a precaution.

A statement from the agency says the problem occurred when bacteria samples that were not completely inactivated were moved from a higher level biosafety lab to a lower level one not designed to handle such samples.

The problem was discovered last Friday, when live anthrax bacteria were found on some materials being gathered for disposal. The statement says some of the anthrax may have become airborne the previous week.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 263902741 - kolotv.com/a?a=263902741