October 24, 2014
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Obama administration is proposing a $200 million fund to help pay for security costs in cities hosting the trials of accused terrorists such as Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (HAH'-leed shayk moh-HAH'-med).
A congressional aide familiar with the plan says the money will be included in the president's budget being release Monday. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity because the spending blueprint hasn't been released.
The administration said late last year the trials would take place in federal court in lower Manhattan, near where the World Trade Center once stood. But there's growing opposition from the city, and the White House is considering moving the trial elsewhere.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has put the cost of tighter security at $216 million just for the first year after Mohammed and the others were to arrive from Guantanamo Bay.