September 2, 2014
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - Harvard University says six researchers
who became sick in August apparently were poisoned after drinking
coffee laced with a chemical preservative.
The Boston Herald reported Sunday that an internal university memo released Friday says the coffee came from a machine that later tested positive for sodium azide, a common preservative used in labs.
The six reported symptoms on Aug. 26 ranging from dizziness to ear ringing, and one passed out. They were treated at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and later released.
The researchers all work in Harvard Medical School's pathology department, using mice to investigate how diseases interact with the immune system.
Harvard says it's investigating the incident, and the school is tightening building security.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.