LOS ANGELES (AP) - The flow of water from a burst water main that forced people out of their homes and flooded the famous Ventura Boulevard has been stopped, authorities said Sunday.
The water flow from the broken pipe in Studio City was stopped after about four hours, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power spokeswoman Jane Galbraith said. The burst main is part of the city's original water system, dating to 1914, she said.
No injuries have been reported since the 64-inch main broke late Saturday night, but firefighters rescued a person who was in a car
that had been swept away in the flooding, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott said.
More than 125 firefighters have responded and were trying to redirect water toward a Los Angeles storm drainer, Scott said.
Water was several feet deep in some places and had damaged homes
and businesses, Scott said. A shelter had been set up at an elementary school for displaced residents.
Ventura Boulevard, one of the city's main thoroughfares, runs the length of the San Fernando Valley from east to west.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.