September 18, 2014
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - A Texas judge has ruled inadmissible a cell phone containing videos of abuse at a state facility for developmentally disabled residents.
The video shows residents of the Corpus Christi State School engaging in orchestrated fights for the amusement of school staff.
State District Judge Sandra Watts says she won't allow the video as evidence in the trial of the man who allegedly filmed the fights. She says prosecutors didn't present evidence that former school employee Timothy Dixon had abandoned the cell phone. Dixon contended the phone had been stolen.
Prosecutors immediately said they'll appeal. Watts agreed to continue postpone the start of trial testimony until the appeals court reviews her decision.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.