Fire Starts at Mormon Church Service

By: KOLO 8 News Email
By: KOLO 8 News Email

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - A fire began during Sunday morning services at a crowded church in Cambridge, Mass., and quickly spread through the decades-old building.

About 300 people were inside The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints meeting house at the time, but officials say it appears everyone was able to make it outside safely.

Fire officials say the blaze, which was reported just before 11 a.m. Sunday, started in the building's attic and quickly reached three alarms.

Witnesses say attendance at the church was larger than usual because the parish was part of a national teleconference with Mormon church leaders in Utah.

The building, which is about 60-years old, was gutted. The roof collapsed, but the steeple remained standing.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 45258587