North Dakota Mayor Asks Residents to Leave

VALLEY CITY, N.D. (AP) - The mayor of a flood-threatened North
Dakota town asked all residents to leave Friday after the sewer
system backed up, flooding buildings in a four-block area with
murky water.

"We had a major main collapse in our sanitary sewer system.
When it collapsed, the river came in and it overloaded the sewer
system," Mayor Mary Lee Nielson said.

Nielson urged those of the town's 7,000 residents who had not
already cleared out to leave, but she stopped short of a mandatory
evacuation. She said the sewer system would be temporarily rebuilt
above the ground and the city will, for now, pump its sewage into
the swollen Sheyenne River.

Officials said the city's water was still safe to drink but
sending it down drains or flushing toilets would make the backup
worse. The mayor said 222 portable toilets will be stationed around

The sewage should not cause environmental harm because of the
large amount of water in the river, said Dave Glatt, the director
of the state Health Department's environmental section.

The Sheyenne River topped out Monday at 20 feet high, a record
in the area. It remained Friday at nearly 20.5 feet. Officials have
warned that the danger of flooding could persist for weeks.

Julie Nelson, the city emergency management spokeswoman, said
the police station and the Valley City Times-Record's offices were
among the places where sewage had backed up.

At the Barnes County Historical Society, curator Wes Anderson
scrambled to plug toilets and control the damage.

"I heard this gurgle, gurgle, gurgle in the upstairs sink and I
thought, 'This isn't good,"' Anderson said. "Then I heard
something in the downstairs sink and I thought, 'This is worse.'

"We've got about an inch or more of brown water floating
through here," he said. He already had moved valuable papers to
high ground, he said. But antique farm equipment and other large
items were too heavy to move.

Plumbers came to help control the damage, Anderson said. By late
morning, the backup was down to a trickle. "If we hadn't capped it
off, it would have gone to the ceiling," he said.

Ruth Venhuizen, who had been staying with a co-worker since
leaving her home earlier in the week, said the new evacuation order
meant she'd have to spend the night at a Red Cross shelter in
nearby Oriska.

"It's very sad, but I have no place else to go," Venhuizen
said, fighting back tears. "I hope it's not for long."

The news was better Friday in Fargo, about 60 miles east. Mayor
Dennis Walaker said he thinks the Red River has crested for a
second time, though he said the flight fight is not over. The river
is at just under 34 feet Friday, 7 feet lower than its first crest
last month at a record of nearly 41 feet.

In tiny Kathryn, N.D., the National Guard said sandbags placed
along a leaky dam to shore it up were holding Friday morning. The
town's 55 residents evacuated Wednesday because floodwater was
undermining the nearby dam.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 43205917 -
Gray Television, Inc.