October 2, 2014
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - The FBI says it has launched a "complete review of all evidence" in the unsolved Tylenol poisonings that killed seven people in 1982.
The statement comes after federal agents search the Boston-area home of a man convicted of trying to extort $1 million from the makers of the painkiller. He has since been released from prison.
No one was ever charged with the deaths of the Chicago-area people who were poisoned by the tampered drugs, laced with cyanide. The case led to dramatic changes in the way food and medical products are packaged.
The FBI says the review started in part due to publicity and tips that came after the 25th anniversary of the deaths in 2007. The FBI is also pointing to "advances in forensic technology" since then.
Victims' relatives say they remain haunted by what happened. One woman, who was 8 when she saw her mother collapse in front of her, says she "will never get past this" because the murderer is still out there somewhere "living his life."
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.