WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations says there's no evidence that last week's deadly assault on the U.S. Consulate in Libya was pre-meditated.
Susan Rice says the evidence gathered so far shows no indication of a premeditated or coordinated strike. She says a spontaneous protest over an anti-Muslim video "seems to have been hijacked" by extremists with heavy weapons, which she says are easy to come by in post-revolutionary Libya.
But Libya's interim president, Mohammed el-Megarif, disagrees. He tells CBS's "Face the Nation" he has no doubt the attack was planned "by people who entered the country a few months ago," and that they purposely chose the date, Sept. 11.
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers says it's too early to tell. He tells "Fox News Sunday" that classified intelligence gives pause to those who suggest attacks throughout the Middle East were coincidental. The Michigan Republican is a former FBI agent.
Rice appeared on "Fox News Sunday," CBS's "Face the Nation," NBC's "Meet the Press" and CNN's "State of the Union."
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.