TORONTO (AP) - The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. says two Canadians involved in the terror attack on a gas plant in Algeria were from Ontario and had been high school friends.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp., citing unidentified sources, reports that Ali Medlej and Xristos Katsiroubas, from London, Ontario, were the two Canadians whose bodies were found at the site. Both men were believed to be in their early 20s.
Foreign Minister John Baird declined to confirm the report Tuesday and a spokeswoman for public safety ministers says they don't comment on national security issues.
Police previously said the remains of two Canadians were found at the site but they continue to decline to give details. A Katsiroubas family member declined comment.
Al-Qaida-affiliated militants stormed the complex near on Jan. 16. The ensuing fight with the Algerian army ended with at least 37 hostages and 29 militants killed.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.