PARIS (AP) - The prosecutor in a western French city says it was an easy decision to order DNA tests for 527 people in the rape of a 16-year-old girl who was attacked at school.
The DNA dragnet started Monday in La Rochelle, and prosecutor Isabelle Pagenelle says so far no one has refused. The testing of 527 male students, faculty and staff at Fenelon-Notre Dame high school is expected to last through Wednesday.
Pagenelle said investigators exhausted all other leads in the rape last fall.
"The choice is simple for me," she said. Either I file it away and wait for a match in what could be several years, or I go looking for the match myself."
Pagenelle had said anyone who refuses the test could be considered a suspect and taken into custody.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.