September 18, 2014
MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico City authorities have detained the alleged mastermind behind the kidnapping of 12 young people who were later found dead.
Prosecutors in Mexico City said Thursday in a statement that witnesses told investigators Joel Javier Rodriguez Fuentes planned and participated in the abduction last year.
The group vanished from an after-hours bar a block from the leafy Reforma Avenue. Their bodies were found months later in a clandestine grave in neighboring Mexico state.
The mass kidnapping resonated across the city of 9 million people because many had come to believe it was an oasis from violence elsewhere in the country.
Authorities said the group was targeted as revenge for the killing of a drug dealer in the capital.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.