September 23, 2014
GUATEMALA CITY (AP) - Authorities in Guatemala say four people have died and 96 others have been hospitalized for food poisoning in a town west of the Central American nation's capital.
The fire department says the victims include children who ate fruit and vegetables that weren't properly cleaned. A doctor at one of the hospitals said Thursday that medical exams show the deaths were caused by E. coli bacteria.
Jose Morales, head doctor at the town's health center, told The Associated Press that dozens of people have been treated there.
Two of Julio Gervacio Rac's children died, and his wife and three other children are still at the hospital. He says the family dined Wednesday night on broccoli and eggs purchased from a local market.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.