FBI Reports "Credible Lead" In D.B. Cooper Case

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI is investigating whether a dead man in
the Pacific Northwest is D.B. Cooper, who hijacked a passenger jet
in 1971 over Washington state and parachuted with $200,000 in

Cooper has never been found.

FBI agent Fred Gutt said Monday the bureau is following up a
"credible" lead in the unsolved case and is focused on a suspect
who died more than 10 years ago.

Gutt said the bureau received a tip from a retired law
enforcement source about the dead man possibly being Cooper. FBI
agents requested personal effects of the possible suspect, who died
of natural causes.

The FBI is trying to find fingerprints or DNA on the dead man's
effects to compare with items the hijacker left behind. The FBI
said three years ago that it found DNA evidence on the clip-on tie
Cooper left on the plane before he jumped.

Gutt said the FBI has already tested one item of the dead man's
belongings for fingerprints. It was not conclusive. They are now
working with surviving family members to gather other items for
further testing.

The suspect is someone who has not been previously investigated,
and Gutt said initial vetting supported the belief of the tipster.
But he cautioned that the new lead may not pan out and that
investigators were still pursuing other possibilities.

"Maybe this is just someone else who just happened to look like
him and whose life story just kind of paralleled," Gutt said.

Gutt said the new lead is also promising because of the way it
came to the FBI. The tipster initially discussed the case with a
retired law enforcement officer who then contacted the FBI. Only
after the FBI contacted the witness directly did the person discuss
the Cooper case with investigators.

"They're not seeking attention," Gutt said. "To the contrary,
they're looking to avoid it."

Federal investigators have checked more than 1,000 leads since
the suspect bailed out on Nov. 24, 1971, over the Pacific

The man who jumped gave his name as Dan Cooper and claimed
shortly after takeoff in Portland, Ore., that he had a bomb,
leading the flight crew to land the plane in Seattle, where
passengers were exchanged for parachutes and ransom money.

The flight then took off for Mexico with the suspect and flight
crew on board. The hijacker parachuted from the plane after dark as
it flew south, apparently over a rugged, wooded region of the
Pacific Northwest. In 1980, a boy found several thousand dollars in
$20 bills from the ransom decomposing along the Columbia River.

The FBI's latest tip in the case was first reported by The Telegraph newspaper in London.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126505503 - kolotv.com/a?a=126505503
Gray Television, Inc.