August 30, 2014
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A prosecutor investigating the South Korean ferry sinking that left 302 people dead or missing says all 15 crew members involved in the ship's navigation are now in custody.
Prosecutor Yang Jung-jin of the joint investigation team says two helmsmen and two members of the steering crew were detained Saturday. Eleven other crew members, including the captain, were arrested previously.
They are accused of negligence and of failing to help passengers in need as the ferry Sewol sank April 16. The captain initially told passengers to stay in their rooms and took half an hour to issue an evacuation order, by which time the ship was tilting too severely for many people to get out.
Ten days after the sinking, 187 bodies have been recovered and 115 people remain missing.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.