TORONTO (AP) - Body parts mailed to two Vancouver schools were mailed from Montreal and are thought to be linked to the killing and dismemberment of a Chinese student, police said Wednesday, as the Canadian porn actor suspected in the case awaited extradition after his arrest in Germany.
Montreal Police Cmdr. Ian Lafreniere said they are taking over the Vancouver investigation after packages were found Tuesday at the two schools. One contained what appeared to be a human hand.
The other contained what appeared to be a human foot.
"We have all the reasons to believe they are linked because they were shipped from Montreal," Lafreniere said. "The DNA match will confirm this."
The suspect in the killing of Jun Lin, 29-year-old Luka Rocco Magnotta, was arrested in Berlin on Monday and is expected to be extradited. If he doesn't fight extradition, it's possible he could be back in Canada by the end of the week.
The case began last week when body parts were mailed to the headquarters of Canada's Liberal and Conservative parties. A torso was found in a suitcase on a garbage dump in Montreal, outside Magnotta's apartment building.
Magnotta, 29, was caught at an internet cafe in Berlin after evading police for days while he partied in Paris. He has told German authorities he would not fight extradition.
German authorities are waiting on Canada's formal extradition request, Martin Steltner, a spokesman for Berlin prosecutors, said Wednesday.
The Canadian Embassy in Berlin declined to comment on when Ottawa may file the official papers seeking extradition.
After the request arrives, Magnotta will officially have to tell the court whether he objects to the request. If he does, it could drag out the process, Steltner said.
In Vancouver, Deputy Police Chief Warren Lemcke said a package containing what appeared to be a human hand was opened by staff at False Creek Elementary School on Tuesday. Another package containing what appeared to be a human foot was found by staff at St. George's private school for boys later in the day.
"There is no indication any student or staff has been targeted at any school," Lemcke said Tuesday.
Zheng Xu, a press spokesman at the Chinese consulate in Montreal, said four of Lin's family members, including his parents, arrived in Montreal on Tuesday night and will meet with Montreal police.
Video footage of what authorities believe to be the killing seems to show the suspect eating the body, police said Tuesday in Montreal,where the death occurred.
Lafreniere said that although police have not been able to conclusively confirm it, they suspect Magnotta ate parts of the victim's body.
"As gross and as graphic as it could be, yes, it was seen on the video," Lafreniere said.
Authorities allege Magnotta filmed the killing in his apartment and posted it online.
A copy of what police believe is the video of the killing, viewed online by The Associated Press, shows a man with an ice pick stabbing another naked, bound male. He also dismembers the corpse and performs sexual acts with it.
It did not show anyone eating the body but did show a man using a fork and knife on it. Police suggested Tuesday that they have access to more extensive video of the killing, possibly an unedited version.
"We're keeping some details for ourselves," Lafreniere said.
Cmdr. Denis Mainville, the head investigator of the Montreal police major crimes unit, said investigators will review hundreds of homicide cases over the last 30 years in Montreal and throughout Quebec for any possible links to Magnotta. Mainville said such a review is routine in such cases.
Montreal police on Tuesday said DNA tests have confirmed that the body parts mailed to the political parties were Lin's remains, and that they have footage of Magnotta mailing the two parcels that were sent to Ottawa.