October 31, 2014
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Australia has indefinitely blocked North Korea's plans to reopen its embassy in the Australian capital because of Pyongyang's nuclear weapons testing.
Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr's spokesman Patrick Low said Thursday that the government told Pyongyang that the proposal was suspended while the United Nations Security Council considered its response to North Korea's third nuclear test on Feb. 12.
North Korea first opened an embassy in Canberra in 2002 but closed it for financial reasons six years later.
Pyongyang approached the government in December with plans to send an ambassador. A team of diplomats was to fly to Canberra last month to search for an embassy site. Australia cancelled the trip following the nuclear test.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.