Pope John Paul II Gunman Released from Prison

By: Suzan Fraser, Selcan Hacaoglu, & Gulden Alp - AP Writers
By: Suzan Fraser, Selcan Hacaoglu, & Gulden Alp - AP Writers

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - The Turkish man who shot Pope John Paul II
nearly 29 years ago emerged from prison Monday, declared himself a
messenger from God, then spent his first night of freedom in a
luxury hotel room.

Mehmet Ali Agca, 52, said he would talk to the media in the next
few days.

But it seemed doubtful that his comments would clear up
uncertainty over whether he acted alone or had the backing of
communist agents, as he once claimed. He has issued contradictory
statements over the years and there are questions about his mental

Agca shot John Paul on May 13, 1981, as the pope rode in an open
car in St. Peter's Square. The pontiff was hit in the abdomen, left
hand and right arm.

John Paul met with Agca in Italy's Rebibbia prison in 1983 and
forgave him.

Following his release, Agca, his hair now gray, waved to
journalists and sat calmly between two plainclothes policemen in
the back of a sedan that took him to a military hospital. There,
doctors concluded he was unfit for compulsory military service
because of "severe anti-social personality disorder," said his
lawyer, Yilmaz Abosoglu.

Upon his arrival later at the five-star Sheraton hotel, he
addressed reporters in English. He had traded the blue sweat shirt
he wore when he left jail for a dark blue suit and tie.

"I will meet you in the next three days," Agca said. "In the
name of God Almighty, I proclaim the end of the world in this
century. All the world will be destroyed, every human being will
die. I am not God, I am not son of God, I am Christ eternal."

Agca, who has previously claimed to be the Messiah, said the
Gospel was full of mistakes and he would write the perfect one. He
delivered a similar message in a long, rambling statement
distributed by Abosoglu outside the prison in Sincan on the
outskirts of Ankara, the Turkish capital.

Another lawyer, Gokay Gultekin, said Agca was planning to hold a
news conference Wednesday.

An army of journalists created chaos in the hotel lobby,
scattering chairs as hotel staff looked on helplessly. Agca then
took the elevator to his room, where he rested in the company of
his brother Adnan Agca and some friends, Gultekin said.

His brother said they were likely to travel to Istanbul later in
the week.

Agca, who has said he wants to travel to the Vatican, does not
have a passport. One of his lawyers once said that Agca had
converted to Christianity while in jail. The motive for the attack
on the pope remains unclear but it has not been linked to Islamic

Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi said there were no
plans to comment on the release. Robert Necek, spokesman for
Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz of Krakow, Poland, who served as
secretary to John Paul II, also would not comment.

When Agca was arrested, minutes after the attack, he said he had
acted alone. Later, he suggested Bulgaria and the Soviet Union's
KGB were behind the attack, but then backed away from that
assertion. His contradictory statements have frustrated prosecutors
over the decades.

Prosecutors in Poland who are investigating Agca's attack on
Pope John Paul II said his release had no influence on the

"Testimony from a person who first sells the information to the
media ... is of no value to us," prosecutor Ewa Koj of the
National Remembrance Institute said. Koj also noted that Agca had
changed his testimony many times.

Prosecutors at the institute are studying over 4,000 pages of
documents, including Agca's testimony, they have received from

Agca had said that he would answer questions about the attack
after he was released from prison. He has also said he is beginning
to consider book, film and television documentary offers.

He was released after completing his sentence for killing
journalist Abdi Ipekci in 1979. He had received a life sentence,
which amounts to 36 years under Turkish law, for murdering Ipekci,
but he escaped from a Turkish prison less than six months into the
sentence and shot the pope in Rome two years later.

Agca reportedly sympathized with the Gray Wolves, a far
right-wing militant group that fought street battles against
leftists in the 1970s. He initially confessed to killing Ipekci,
one of the country's most prominent left-wing newspaper columnists,
but later retracted that.

After his extradition on June 14, 2000, Agca was separately
sentenced to seven years and four months for two robberies in
Turkey in 1979. But authorities deducted the prison sentence he had
served in Italy, and several amnesties and amendments of the penal
code further reduced his term. The situation complicated the
calculation of his remaining term and led to his wrongful release
from prison in 2006. He was re-imprisoned eight days later.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 82004952 - kolotv.com/a?a=82004952
Gray Television, Inc.