As Many as 8 Americans Dead in Afghan Attack

By: Deb Riechmann AP Email
By: Deb Riechmann AP Email

KABUL (AP) - At least eight Americans died Wednesday in a suicide bombing at a military base in eastern Afghanistan, U.S. officials said.

Conflicting reports were reaching the Pentagon on whether the victims were civilian or military in the bombing at Forward Operating Base Chapman in Khost province near the border with Pakistan.

The deaths were confirmed late Wednesday by a U.S. official in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

A senior U.S. official in Washington said the Americans were killed by an attacker wearing a suicide vest.

Another senior U.S. official in Washington said there were conflicting reports on the number of casualties, and that other people were wounded in the attack.

Wazir Pacha, a police spokesman in Khost province, said local people reported hearing a blast on the base.

Soon afterward, two helicopters landed, a police officer in Khost said.

All the U.S. officials spoke on condition of anonymity because not all details about the incident had been confirmed.
---
Associated Press Writers Pauline Jelinek and Matthew Lee in Washington and Amir Shah in Kabul contributed to this report.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 80357642 - kolotv.com/a?a=80357642