September 20, 2014
Indonesian police say DNA tests show the body of a suspected terrorist killed in a 16-hour siege last week is not one of the region's most wanted men.
Police official Eddy Saparwoko said Wednesday that results showed that the man killed in a shootout with anti-terrorism forces last week was not Noordin Muhammad Top, despite early media reports that he may have been slain.
Saparwoko said "the DNA test didn't match with Noordin's family."
Noordin, a Malaysian, has been blamed for a series of deadly attacks in Indonesia since 2003 and is the prime suspect in the twin suicide hotel bombings in Jakarta on July 17 that killed seven people.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.