Nigerian Troops Surround Militant Hideout

Army troops traded fire with Islamic militants Tuesday and deployed armored vehicles to surround the suspected hideout of a radical Muslim leader accused of orchestrating three days of violence in Africa's most populous nation.

A tense calm returned to several towns elsewhere in northern
Nigeria after authorities imposed curfews and poured security
forces onto the streets to quell a wave of militant attacks against
police, which have killed dozens of people since Sunday.

Appealing for calm, President Umaru Yar'Adua told reporters:
"This situation is being brought under control."

Sporadic gunfire was reported through the day in Maiduguri,
capital of Borno state, where some of the worst violence occurred
Monday. Police exchanged intermittent fire with militants as they
tried to raid their camps in the city, according to local
journalist Olugbenga Akinbule. He said more than 3,000 people had
been displaced in the city.

Later in the day, the army sent armored vehicles to Maiduguri
and deployed them in a residential district that is believed to be
a stronghold of the sect. Officers said they believed militant
leader Ustaz Mohammed Yusuf was holed up in a house in the

As army vehicles approached and opened fire, sect members fired
back, soldiers said. An Associated Press reporter in the area saw
smoke billowing above homes.

Army Maj. Gen. Saleh Maina said troops were hunting for sect
members in homes and a mosque and near the Maiduguri railway
station. He said the operation was being carried out "to prevent
further loss of lives and property."

Troops and police had begun blocking off the area Monday,
sealing streets and ordering residents to leave for their own
safety. Elsewhere in the city, the bodies of dozens of dead
militants lay on roadsides.

National police chief Ogbonnaya Onovo said Monday at least 55
people have died in the violence since it began Sunday, including
50 militants and five police officers. His spokesman Emmanuel
Ojukwu said Tuesday authorities were still adding up the number of
dead and arrested, and declined to give total figures.

Nigeria's 140 million people are nearly evenly divided between
Christians, who predominate in the south, and primarily
northern-based Muslims. Shariah was implemented in 12 northern
states after Nigeria returned to civilian rule in 1999 following
years of oppressive military regimes. More than 10,000 Nigerians
have died in sectarian violence since then.

The radical sect behind the latest violence is known by several
different names, including Al-Sunna wal Jamma, or "Followers of
Mohammed's Teachings" in Arabic, and "Boko Haram," which means
"Western education is sin" in the local Hausa dialect. Onovo
referred to the militants as Taliban, although the group has no
known affiliation with Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

The group, which wants to see traditional government replaced by
a Taliban-style state based on a strict interpretation of Shariah
law and the Quran, first gained notoriety with a similar wave of
assaults on New Year's Eve 2003. More attacks followed in late

Analysts say trouble has brewed for months, as police began
raiding militant hideouts and finding explosives and arms.

Yar'Adua said the Islamic militants had been "preparing arms,
learning how to make explosives and bombs to disturb our peace and
force their ideas on the rest of Nigerians."

"Luckily, our security forces have been tracking them for years
and I believe that the operation we have launched now will be an
operation that will contain them once and for all," he said,
referring to Maiduguri.

"What we have now is the situation in Borno state where the
leader of the so-called Taliban group is resident, where most of
them have migrated from all over the northern states to prepare,
and declare a holy war," Yar'Adua said.

The president also said security forces would continue
"security surveillance all over the northern states to fish out
any remnants of these elements and deal with them."

The latest violence began Sunday in the northern city of Bauchi
and spread the next day to three other predominantly Muslim
northern states.

Mohammed Maigari Khanna, a spokesman for the governor of Bauchi
state, said security forces Tuesday were searching for militants
who had tried to flee and had arrested some of them. He said a
dusk-to-dawn curfew had been imposed and security agents had
blanketed the area.

In Kano state's Wudil district, where militants on Monday
attacked a police station, 17 people were arrested overnight,
bringing the total detained there to 53, according to Kano police
spokesman Baba Mohammed. He said Kano was calm and police
reinforcements had arrived to back up local security forces.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 51949582 -
Gray Television, Inc.