70 Sick in China After Eating Tainted Pig Organs

BEIJING (AP) - At least 70 people in southern China fell ill after eating pig organs contaminated by a banned animal feed additive, state media said Monday.

The cases underscore a continuing battle with food safety in a country where supply chains are murky and the rising cost of labor, land and fuel sometimes force producers to cut corners in order to make a profit.

Three people were in the hospital, while the rest were discharged after being treated for stomach aches and diarrhea over the weekend, the China Daily said.

The pig organs tainted by the steroid clenbuterol were sold last week in markets in Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province, it said.

Clenbuterol helps to build muscle and is frequently used as an illegal performance enhancing drug by track and field athletes. China has banned its use as a pig feed additive.

Authorities have detained three people involved with raising and selling the pigs, which came from farms in the neighboring province of Hunan, the China Daily said.

In 2006, more than 300 people in Shanghai were hospitalized after eating pork and pig organs tainted with clenbuterol. Last August, hundreds of thousands of children were sickened after drinking tainted milk, which was also blamed for the deaths of six babies.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 40064032 - kolotv.com/a?a=40064032
Gray Television, Inc.