September 18, 2014
SAN DIEGO (AP) - San Diego State University officials say a graduate student has died after contracting bacteria that can cause meningitis.
Authorities said Thursday that the 30-year-old man who lived in Chula Vista died Monday after being admitted to a hospital.
University officials say they are trying to notify students and staff who may have been in contact with the man from Dec. 3 to Dec. 10 and possibly exposed to the Neisseria meningitidis bacteria.
Health authorities say the bacteria can cause meningitis and can be spread through close contact - such as sharing a drinking glass, kissing or living in close quarters - with an infected person.
Symptoms that include fever, intense headache and stiff neck can take two to 10 days to appear.
The man's name was not released.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.