SDSU Student Dies from Meningitis-Causing Bacteria

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

SAN DIEGO (AP) - San Diego State University officials say a graduate student has died after contracting bacteria that can cause meningitis.

Authorities said Thursday that the 30-year-old man who lived in Chula Vista died Monday after being admitted to a hospital.

University officials say they are trying to notify students and staff who may have been in contact with the man from Dec. 3 to Dec. 10 and possibly exposed to the Neisseria meningitidis bacteria.

Health authorities say the bacteria can cause meningitis and can be spread through close contact - such as sharing a drinking glass, kissing or living in close quarters - with an infected person.

Symptoms that include fever, intense headache and stiff neck can take two to 10 days to appear.

The man's name was not released.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 183440641 - kolotv.com/a?a=183440641