SAN DIEGO (AP) - San Diego State University officials say a graduate student has died after contracting bacteria that can cause meningitis.
Authorities said Thursday that the 30-year-old man who lived in Chula Vista died Monday after being admitted to a hospital.
University officials say they are trying to notify students and staff who may have been in contact with the man from Dec. 3 to Dec. 10 and possibly exposed to the Neisseria meningitidis bacteria.
Health authorities say the bacteria can cause meningitis and can be spread through close contact - such as sharing a drinking glass, kissing or living in close quarters - with an infected person.
Symptoms that include fever, intense headache and stiff neck can take two to 10 days to appear.
The man's name was not released.