September 23, 2014
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Health officials have confirmed norovirus is behind an outbreak at a youth football tournament in Las Vegas last week that sent more than two dozen people to the emergency room.
Southern Nevada Health District spokeswoman Jennifer Sizemore said Monday that two stool samples tested positive for the virus, which is a mostly food- or water-borne illness that can also be spread by an infected person.
Tournament spokesman Justin Gates said some 90 to 100 players, coaches and parents developed flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea during the four-day National Youth Football Championships that ended Saturday.
Clark County firefighters responded to the Rio casino Friday and 18 guests were taken to the hospital, although Gates says nobody stayed at the hospital for long.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.