SPARKS, NV - As she tells it, Carolyn Jones was shocked when a cashier handed her the receipt at the Walmart on the Pyramid Highway in Sparks January 28th and it had nothing to do with the total of her bill.
"It had blood spots on it," she says.
Jones checked her own hands. There were scratches, she said, from roughhousing with her two cats, but no blood.
Her assumption was the blood came from the hands of the cashier. In fact, she says there was more blood on the bills she got in change.
The people at the customer relations desk told her she could exchange the items she'd just bought and, she says, when pressed, someone offered a weak apology. In general, though, she says there was little concern or sympathy.
Over the three weeks that followed she says she's had a hard time getting any more out of Walmart here or elsewhere.
"There was no 'we're sorry what can we do to help you.' There was no procedure in their book to handle tainted money or blood. They were running around like a chicken with their head cut off. They didn't know what they were doing.
She says her concerns are really two fold. First, the admittedly remote possibility of infection.
Is she really worried? "You never know," she says. "I don't know what that cashier has. I don't know what she does in her free time. It's very slight, but it's still in the back of my mind that this could happen."
Just in case, she says she has gotten the first of what will be a series of blood tests and will be getting more periodically in the year ahead.
The other thing she's seeking is some demonstration Walmart is taking any of this seriously.
"I would like an apology. I would like, you know 'we're sorry this happened to you. What can we do to help? How are you doing?'"
"I would like to tell them that there needs to be a procedure in place so this doesn't happen to someone else."
Local Walmart managers referred us to the corporate media office who told us they were investigating the incident.
Late Monday they issued a statement saying simply "We understand Mrs. Jones concerns and will reach out to her directly to apologize."
The spokeswoman also indicated Walmart has procedures and supplies on hand to deal with hazardous materials or injuries.
Jones, who described herself as a loyal Walmart customer, says she'll be doing her shopping elsewhere in the future.