RENO, NV- With temperatures dropping, Reno's fire chief wants to remind us of the dangers associated with space heaters and their potential to ignite nearby combustible materials such as curtains, beds, sofas, paper, clothing, and flammable liquids.
If ignition results from a heater left on and unattended, a major fire could be the result.
Some important safety tips to follow regarding portable heaters:
When buying a heater, look for one that has been tested and labeled by a nationally recognized testing company, such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL).
Keep the heater three feet away from drapes, furniture or other combustible materials.
Place the heater on a level surface away from areas where someone might bump into it and knock it over.
Avoid using extension cords. If you must use an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy duty cord marked with a power rating at least as high as that on the label of the heater itself.
Space heaters are for temporary use only. Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep.
Supervise children and pets when a space heater is in use.
Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.
Have a working smoke alarm.
The Reno Fire Department is also offering a limited number of free smoke alarms. Residents can contact the Department at 775-334-2300 to apply for the free alarm.
For more information about the safe use of fireplaces or other alternatives heating devices, go to www.NFPA.org.