RENO, NV - A 55-year-old man is dead. Reno police say he was struck by a car while crossing the street at Kietzke Lane and Gentry Way around 10:30pm on Wednesday. Now, investigators are still trying to determine who had the right-of-way. What they do know is that the number of pedestrian deaths is down so far from last year.
Traffic is moving and people are crossing at the intersection of Kietzke Lane and Gentry Way. There's no sign of the deadly collision that happened there just one day earlier. But on Wednesday night around 10:30, a 55-year-old man was crossing the street in a crosswalk when a car headed north on Kietzke struck him.
"The pedestrian sustained life threatening injuries and was transported to renown regional hospital where he later died," says Sgt. Brian Adamson of the Reno Police Department.
Police have yet to identify that victim, but his death marks the third pedestrian death in Reno this year. Last year, there were 12 total pedestrian deaths. Police believe the streets really are safer this year.
"We would like to attribute that to the proactive work by the men and women of the reno police department as well as two grants we're specifically working under with targets pedestrian traffic safety," says Sgt. Adamson.
Those grants have led to several crosswalk stings where drivers and pedestrians have been cited for not following the law. Still, we're only halfway into the year. And we're approaching a dangerous time.
"You know, the sun's out, more traffic and construction going on over here," observes James Hogg, a Reno resident.
"Any time you have constriction going on, it has the potential to distract drivers. We just encourage motorists to pay attention at all times," says Sgt. Adamson.
But it is a two-way street and people on foot need to keep an eye out as well.