Man ID'd in Damonte Ranch Suicidal Standoff

By: Samantha Boatman Email
By: Samantha Boatman Email
Lloyd Curtis Wyant

Lloyd Curtis Wyant

RENO, NV - A four-hour standoff in Damonte Ranch ended peacefully Friday evening. But there were some tense moments after the man threatened to kill himself and possibly hurt others.

Police say they got a call around 2:45 Friday afternoon from a business owner saying a man was armed with what looked to be a pipe device in front of the building. This was about an hour after police responded to the same place on a report of a disturbance in which a man, later identified as Lloyd Wyant, was demanding to see a person who had previously held an extended protection order against him. Wyant ran off before police got there, then returned, leading to the second police call.

"When officers arrived on scene, they recognized the device to be a zip gun, in essence a homemade style of firearm," says Mac Venzon with the Reno Police Department.

FBI agents, the Reno SWAT team, the Consolidated Bomb Squad and other agencies were called to the office complex off Double R.

Buildings around the area were self-evacuated, but the business the man was standing in front of was evacuated by law enforcement.

The man told police he wanted to talk to the media, and wouldn't give up until that happened.

"It's not something we need to force our hand, time's on our side and we used the time we needed to make sure this came to a safe close," says Venzon.

For it to be a safe ending, negotiators were brought in to talk to him.
That's when Reno PD asked Samantha and a KOLO 8 News Now photographer to help with the standoff.

Samantha was ready to speak with the man, but he wanted to make sure the media was there, so they stepped where he could see them.

"Samantha was willing to step out and he seemed to be content with that, I mean it was very helpful for us," says Venzon.

Twenty minutes later, the man wearing a white shirt surrendered to police with his arms raised to the side.

"Once he knew we weren't going to tackle him or cause any harm to him he seemed fine with that," says Venzon.

Police say Wyant had been unhappy about an extended protection order which had been issued against him, but expired.

Wyant, who is 47 and had his name legally changed to “Russell” (no last name) was charged with being an ex-felon possession of a firearm (felony), obstructing and resisting an officer with a deadly weapon (felony), assault (misdemeanor), and trespassing (misdemeanor). He was also taken to a hospital for a psychological evaluation.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132368558