Student Saves Choking Friend

By: Staff Email
By: Staff Email

SPARKS -- A middle school student is lucky to be alive after he began choking in the school cafeteria. Fortunately for David Miller, his friend jumped into action.

Miller said he was choking on a hamburger at Sparks Middle School shortly before a basketball game.

"I took some of my friend's drink and it didn't help because it just sat on top of the hamburger and then it came back up and I realized nothing was helping so I patted my friend on the back," Miller said.

Miller's friend and fellow 7th grader, Angelo Ferro, came to his rescue.

"I picked him up held on to his chest and I pushed him as hard as I could like a bear hug and that's when it finally came out," Ferro said.

Ferro said he has never performed the Heimlich before, but had seen it done many times on television.

"I've never known how to do it I just did it by instincts," Ferro said.

The dramatic rescue was recorded by a security camera at the school.

"Watching that video I got goose bumps and had a tear in my eye I was just so proud of him," Kevin Carroll, the principal, said.

"Thank God he was there and I'm so happy that he is my friend," Miller said.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 207742161