INCLINE VILLAGE, NV - Two families are being helped by the Red Cross to find temporary housing because of a fire that severely burned two cabin-type homes Thursday morning.
The fire broke out at 978 Glenrock Court in Incline Village around
2:30 a.m. Everyone got out safely and no one is hurt. Five people total lived in the two homes.
Investigators say the fire was an accident, starting with improperly discarded fireplace ashes.
They are offering some tips regarding how to dispose of ashes:
"Improper ash disposal is a common cause of structure as well as wildland fires. Whether fireplace or barbeque ashes, it is important to understand that embers in an insulating bed of ash can remain hot up to a week or more.
Some important fires safety tips to remember when discarding your fireplace or barbeque ashes:
Please do not put ashes in a paper bag or cardboard box or place ashes on your deck, in the bushes or next to the house. Also please do not discard ashes in a dumpster where there are other combustible materials as there is the chance that the ashes are not completely extinguished and such disposal can lead to an unnecessary fire.
Thoroughly douse the ashes with water or simply place the ashes in a non-combustible metal container used solely for ash storage and wait a couple of weeks before throwing them away.
It is necessary to wait until the embers are completely extinguished and cold (at least 7 days) before placing them into a garbage receptacle or dumpster.
For more information on proper ash disposal and storage, please call your local Fire Protection District. For Incline Village and Crystal Bay area, please contact the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District at 775-831-0351, ext. 0 to speak with someone in person or visit www.nltfpd.net."
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.