School Immunization Requirements and Clinic Locations

By: Staff Email
By: Staff Email

RENO, Nev. (August 14, 2012)—As summer break winds down for many Nevada families, some parents may wonder what immunizations are necessary for their children to comply with childcare, school and college entry requirements.

Parents who cannot find or do not have immunization records can contact their healthcare provider or call the Nevada WebIZ helpdesk at (775) 684-5954 to request a copy of their child’s current immunization records. Nevada laws require certain immunizations for students in public and private schools to have their immunizations up to date for the new school year.

Child Care Entry Requirements:
Children enrolled in a child care facility in Nevada must show proof of several vaccines. The following table outlines the required vaccines and the diseases for which they protect against.

Childcare and preschool vaccine & dosage requirements depend upon the child's age.
Vaccine Protects Against
DTaP/DT Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
IPV Polio
Hib Haemophilus Influenzae type b
PCV-13 (Prevnar) Streptococcus Pneumoniae
HBV Hepatitis B
HAV Hepatitis A
MMR Measles, Mumps, Rubella
VZV (Varicella) Chickenpox

Kindergarten and New Students to Nevada K-12th:
For those students who are entering kindergarten or are new to Nevada, required immunizations include: Dtap (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis), polio, HIB, MMR (measles, mumps and rubella), hepatitis A and B, and varicella.
• 5 DTap (Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis)
o 4 OK if last one given after age 4
• 4 IPV or OPV (polio)
o 3 OK if last one given after age 4 and all 3 are the same type (OPV or IPV)
• 3 Hepatitis B
• 2 Hepatitis A
• 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
• 2 Varicella (or History of Chickenpox)
7th Grade Entry Immunization Requirement
Students entering the seventh grade are required to receive a Tdap booster before the start of school if at least five years have passed since the last tetanus-containing vaccination.
• 1 Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) at 7th grade entry
College Students:
College students must show records of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) and MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella), as well as other immunizations depending upon specific courses of study. Student less than 23 years of age and enrolled as a freshman, may not reside in on-campus housing until they submit proof of the meningococcal vaccine to protect against meningitis.
• 1 Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) or Td (Tetanus, Diphtheria) within the past 10 years
• 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
• Meningococcal (Freshman less than 23 years of age residing in on-campus housing facility)
Where to Get Immunizations in Northern Nevada:
Immunize Nevada recommends parents first check with their children’s pediatrician or primary healthcare provider to get back-to-school immunizations. Children without a medical home can access the following locations offering back-to-school immunizations. Please call the following providers directly to make an appointment or for more information. Immunization costs vary, and those children without insurance qualify for the Vaccines for Children Program (VFC).

Outlets at Legends Back to School Fair and Fashion Show, 1310 Scheels Drive, Sparks, (775) 750-7872
Saturday, August 18, Noon to 5 p.m.
Free for children 0-18. No ID required. Please bring a copy of current immunization records.
Vaccinations are available on a first come, first served basis.

Washoe County Health District, 1001 E. Ninth Street, Building B, Reno, (775) 328-2402
Appointments ONLY. Open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
8:00 a.m. to noon; 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed noon to 1 p.m.

Saint Mary’s Immunization Clinic, 1625 E. Prater Way, Suite 102, Sparks, (775) 770-6210
Appointments ONLY. Open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
8 a.m. to noon; 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed noon to 1 p.m.

Health Access Washoe County (HAWC) Clinics
Appointments available. Sliding fee scale available.
Only families without insurance who qualify at Health Access Washoe County (HAWC) may access clinic sites on Wells Avenue, Neil Road and in Sun Valley for immunizations and other health services. To find out more information about qualifying for HAWC, please call one of the following locations:
Open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., 1055 South Wells Avenue, Reno, (775) 329-6300
175 E. Carson Street, Ste. A, Virginia City, (775) 284-3570, 3915 Neil Road, Reno, (775) 870-4333
5295 Sun Valley, Blvd. #5, (775) 870-4334

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 166179376 -
Gray Television, Inc.