Photo courtesy of Tim Krane, KOLOTV.com
RENO, Nev. (AP) - Reno investigators say a deadly blaze in January that burned 3,100 acres and killed an elderly woman was caused by improper disposal of fireplaces ashes and was most likely accidental.
The Reno-Gazette-Journal reports 58-year-old Lyle Teuscher told investigators he had disposed of the ashes in a metal trailer outside his Washoe Drive home about four days before the fire.
He thought the ashes were cool and could not ignite.
Property damage from the blaze that destroyed 28 homes was estimated at $4.5 million.
The report was released Wednesday by the Reno Fire Department and forwarded last week to the Washoe County district attorney's office to determine if charges are warranted.
Ninety-three-year-old June Hargis lived in a studio apartment near where the blaze broke out and died of smoke inhalation.
KOLO 8 New Now's Ed Pearce will have a full report on this story tonight at 5pm.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.