August 21, 2014
RENO, Nev. (AP) - A rural Nevada county has settled lawsuits with two men who said a sheriff's deputy violated their civil rights when they were stopped for speeding on Interstate 80, searched for drugs and forced to forfeit tens of thousands of dollars even though no drugs were found and no charges filed in either case.
The Humboldt County District Attorney's Office also confirmed Friday it has launched an internal review of the county's "forfeiture program" but that there is no indication so far of any wrongdoing.
The men said in lawsuits filed in U.S. District Court in Reno that they were illegally searched and told they wouldn't be released with their vehicles unless they forfeited their cash.
One man gave up a briefcase full of $50,000 and the other $13,800 and a handgun.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.